Thursday, 18 June 2009

Hanging Out on the Knightsbridge Beat



A few words from stalwart London Walks guide, Daily Constitutional Associate Editor and Knightsbridge cognoscente Richard III



A couple of Fridays ago whilst guiding the Knightsbridge Pubs London Walk, I was about to start talking when a woman in the group said, ‘I lived in this street in 1960.’

I asked her what it was like then and she said, ‘Really run down, it was all bedsits and B & Bs.’

I was thrilled because I was about to tell the group that the area was quite cheap in the ‘fifties and ‘sixties, and nobody believes me because it is so expensive and exclusive now: five minutes from Harrods, in a quiet road off the Brompton Road with views of the Oratory.

She then told me that she had lived in a bedsit at the top of No. 44, paying three guineas a week, (including breakfast). I was able to tell her that this was the same number where William Burroughs had lived, and from the basement, five years before she lived there, Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be hanged in England, set out to find the man she would murder later that day. Where was this street? You'll have to come with me on Knightsbridge pubs to find out…

Richard III leads the Knightsbridge Pubs Walk on Friday 19th June 2009. Meet him at South Kensington Tube Station at 7.00p.m.



POST UPDATED 27/3/16

A London Walk costs £10 – £8 concession. To join a London Walk, simply meet your guide at the designated tube station at the appointed time. Details of all London Walks can be found at www.walks.com.









Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment