Is this the least Rock’n’Roll building in London? Far from it:
• The Beatles were awarded their MBE’s here in 1965
• No they DID NOT smoke a spliff here – a persistent myth that refuses to go away. They merely puffed a humble gasper to steady their Fab nerves.
• The Sex Pistols signed with A&M using the palace as a backdrop.
• Brian May played atop the palace for HMQ’s Golden Jubilee. Brian May – Queen – geddit?
• Dr. May is a noted anti-fox hunting campaigner. Ahem.
• Madness repeated May’s stunt en masse for the Diamond Jubilee. The Royal Family – Madness – geddit? (We think that one might have been an accident.) (Watch here.)
• Mick Jagger was knighted here – although some stories have it that HMQ tried to distance herself from the “unpatriotic” singer who once described Her Maj as “the Chief Witch”. Click here for more on that tale.
• Even the soldiers’ band gets in on the act. Here they are doing pop HM (that’s Heavy Metal, not Her Majesty) number The Final Countdown: click here to get down!
And here’s our own Rock’n’Roll London video…
REMEMBER: THE ROCK’N’ROLL PUB WALK IS BACK!
THE ROCK’N’ROLL LONDON PUB WALK! EVERY WEDNESDAY NIGHT FROM 1ST MAY AT 7.00PM MEETING AT TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD STATION (EXIT 3).
Join the Rock’n'Roll London Walk on Friday at 2pm, meeting at Tottenham Court Road Station (Exit 3) – to book a Private Walk call 020 7642 3978 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A London Walk costs £9 – £7 concession. To join a London Walk, simply meet your guide at the designated tube station at the appointed time. Details of all London Walks can be found at www.walks.com.