Thursday, 30 April 2015

The #London Reading List No.29: London by Edward Rutherfurd


We've asked London Walks Guides & London Walkers to recommend a favourite book or story, and we've also raided the archives here at The Daily Constitutional to bring a rich and varied selection of London-themed and London-set reading matter.

Whether you live here in London, work here, play here or if you are in the throws of planning a trip to visit us here, these are the books you need to read. As usual, you can give us a shout with your own recommendations – thrillers, literary classics, biographies, anthologies, anything! – at the usual email address, via Twitter or Facebook, or simply leave a comment below.





No.29. London by Edward Rutherford


Here's Kim

Books - I could go on all day and night so if I have to restrict myself to one and if I put myself in the position of someone who wants a good story and to discover the history of the city then head for Edward Rutherfurd's "London".  

An epic novel that begins with the birth of the Thames, takes us through Roman era and to the medieval, jumps to the Tudor and Puritan 17th century and then we are jumping through the centuries to come right up to date.  There are wonderful characters who are skilfully woven together so that families overlap through generations and we know, but they don't, exactly where they've come from.  

It was such a good read when I first encountered this that I bought the one for New York and read that before I made my first visit there.  It was perfect.  I  had a great overview of the development of Manhattan, Brooklyn and further afield and I knew what I was looking at.  For someone trying to get to grips with London this is a great start with a story.





Kim
Kim, who has worked in the House of Commons and the European Parliament, is another 24-carat Blue Badge Guide: she won the London Tourist Board's Guide of the Year award in 2001.






A London Walk costs £10 – £8 concession. To join a London Walk, simply meet your guide at the designated tube station at the appointed time. Details of all London Walks can be found at www.walks.com.









Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment