Thursday, 31 December 2015

The Editor's #London Diary 2015: October #Halloween @WalkingDead_AMC @R_Siddall


The editor's review of 2015. Adam's London diary reaches October…


October



Spooky!

It's all about Halloween on The DC in October.

And it's confession time. I love Halloween. I pretend it's for my daughter, but it's not. It's me. I love Halloween.

First step was to Zombie-fy myself (and my London Walks podcast pal Andy) with the Walking Dead: Dead Yourself app, and then photoshop our zombie heads impaled on some Kensington railings.

Like I said, I love Halloween




Next, it was time to throw shadows on St Paul's Cathedral before one of my Tuesday night Ghosts of the Old City walks in imitation of the iconic silent movie Nosferatu




Fancy dress? Dracula, of course…





Did I mention I love Halloween? Yes? Which made it all the more disappointing when I fell ill and missed the big night

I was devastated.

This year, it was my wife Karen who donned the facepaint and black robes in my stead…






Autumn


Setting all the daftness of Halloween aside, it's worth noting that the most-searched term on this blog, the phrase typed into Google that bring more traffic to The Daily Constitutional than any other, is "London Autumn".

And no wonder…

Grand Union Canal 


Regent's Park


Geology at Canary Wharf

I worked for a period at Canary Wharf a number of years ago and I was always fond of looking at the architecture and making the wisecrack that I was the oldest thing that could be seen within a mile radius.

How wrong I was.

In October we joined UCL Geologist Ruth Sidall on an amazing tour of the building stones used in that fast emerging "third city" way out east. Ruth showed us fossils…






… and amethysts…



… and threw dates around that made my head spin.

Next time you see one of her Urban Geology Walk on the London Walks programme, cancel everything. You will never look at London the same way again.

My daughter Isobella took the pics. She also treated our group to a song…



… Thanks to Mary & David and Margie & David for inviting us along, and thanks to Ruth for a great tour!




Next time: November…





A London Walk costs £10 – £8 concession. To join a London Walk, simply meet your guide at the designated tube station at the appointed time. Details of all London Walks can be found at www.walks.com.









Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment