Friday, 23 December 2016

#London Christmas Shopping No.40: The Series Ends with Porterford Butcher @Porterfords

Daily Constitutional editor Adam Scott-Goulding writes…


It's the annual London Christmas Shopping Guide from The Daily Constitutional!



This year I'll be including museum gift shops and markets for gift ideas. 


As well as gifts I'll be pointing you toward local London shops for the best in Christmas food and drink. Where relevant, I'll list the London Walks tour that finishes near the shop in question.



As usual, you can drop me a line with your own tips by emailing the usual address, by leaving a comment below or via Twitter.



The last post! I picked up the turkey from Porterford this morning!


Porterford Butcher

I blog about Porterford every year - my favourite butcher shop in London.

I'm just back home from picking up the Christmas turkey – pausing to blog this before shooting out to film my daughter's Nativity play – and it was like a party in there. The guys were cheery and helpful as ever, but I'm sure they'll be glad to shut the door tonight, they were putting in a helluva shift.

My daughter joined me for the first time, and as we left, she said, "It's really Chrsitmassy in there, they're really really nice!"

High praise given that nine-ear-old Isobella is (cover your ears, Porterfords) a vegetarian!






I'm prepared to wager that had the born-again Ebenezer Scrooge been aware of Porterford, then he would have despatched his boy here for Bob Cratchit’s Christmas turkey.

The knowledgeable Porterford chaps are old school, very keen to tell you all about their wares, give you cooking tips and suggestions and fill you in on the origins of their goods.



They close for Christmas tonight but, like a puppy, Porterford isn't just for Christmas - they do excellent takeaway food at lunchtime all the year round.






Happy Christmas everyone!


Porterford Butcher, 72 Watling Street, London EC4






Christmas 2016 With London Walks…

On Christmas Day there are TWO London Walks: 

Walk up an appetite with The Christmas Morning 1660 Walk – meet at 11:00a.m by the big tree in Trafalgar Square



Walk off the pudding with The Christmas Day Charles Dickens Walk – meet by the big tree in Trafalgar Square at 2:00pm







A London Walk costs £10 – £8 concession. To join a London Walk, simply meet your guide at the designated tube station at the appointed time. Details of all London Walks can be found at www.walks.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment